Hi! I’m a research scientist at Yahoo! Labs in Sunnyvale, California. On a very general level, I’m interested in how people perceive new technologies and integrate them into their daily lives. My research revolves around mobile location-based services and people’s perceptions of their surroundings, ‘Research in the Large’: using wide distribution channels and existing services for research purposes, and people’s interaction with applications and ‘things’ that use data around -or about- them.
Before I joined Yahoo! in Nov 2012, I was a senior researcher and project leader at the Mobile Life Centre in Kista (Stockholm), Sweden where I led Mobile Life’s Mobile 2.0 project and activities of SICS within the European LIREC project.
To list some topics I’m interested in: playfulness, mobile interaction, location-based services, services as design materials, connecting the virtual data around us with the physical and social environment, urban computing, interaction with (semi-)autonomous ‘things’, affective and physical interaction, control, trust and situated user experiences.
I have a PhD from the Human-Computer Studies lab at the University of Amsterdam (April 2010). My PhD focused on user interaction with user-adaptive and semi-autonomous systems and involved user studies to gain more insight in user behaviour, (affective) reactions and trust. Its studies involved interaction with personalised recommenders and information filters, mobile devices and human-robot interaction.
Some of my personal interests include photography, dancing (Lindyhop/Swing), electronic music, and spending time in tents amidst lots and lots of summer festival noise.
Conference Organizing Committees
- CHI 2013 Works-in-Progress Co-chair
- MobileHCI 2012 Panels Co-chair, with Frank Bentley (Motorola Mobility Research)
- CHI 2012 Works-in-Progress Co-chair, with Lichan Hong (Google)
- MobileHCI 2011 Posters Co-chair, with Frank Bentley (Motorola Mobility Research)
- UbiComp 2011 Publicity Co-chair
- HRI2011 Publications chair
Workshop Organizing Committees
- Personalizing the Local Mobile Experience, workshop on local recommendations at RecSys 2012
- ‘Research in the Large!’ workshops on wide distribution of research apps at UbiComp2010 & 2011, and MobileHCI 2012
- Ethics in Large Scale Trials & User Generated Content workshop at CHI 2011
- Playfulness in Mobile Interaction workshop at MobileHCI 2010
- HRI Young Pioneers workshop at HRI 2010
Guest editor Int. Journal of Mobile HCI special issue on Research in the Large (2011)
Program committees / juries
- WWW 2013 Program Committee (User Interaction and Smart (Mobile) Devices Track)
- CHI 2013 Workshops jury
- Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia 2012 Program Committee
- Nokia Mobile Data Challenge Workshop 2012 Technical PC
- MobileHCI 2011 Senior Program Committee
- CHI 2012 Program Committee (Interaction Techniques and Devices PC)
- CHI 2012 Workshops jury
- CHI 2010 Works-in-Progress committee
- Nomination CSCW 2013 best paper award
- CHI 2009 best note award
- 2008 James Chen Annual Award for Best UMUAI Paper
- Human-Robot Interaction 2008 Student Design Competition Award for Phobot, the Phobic Lego robot
for Mattias Rost, Louise Barkhuus, Henriette Cramer, Barry Brown, “Representation and communication: Challenges in interpreting large social media datasets”.
for Henriette Cramer, Vanessa Evers, Maarten van Someren, Bob Wielinga, “Awareness, Training and Trust in Interaction with Adaptive Spam Filters”
for Henriette Cramer, Vanessa Evers, Maarten van Someren, Satyan Ramlal, Lloyd Rutledge, Natalia Stash, Lora Aroyo, Bob Wielinga, “The effects of transparency on trust and acceptance in interaction with a content-based art recommender”